Obtaining resource consent for your next project can be a daunting task, but having Kristy on board to help as your Wanaka resource consent planning consultant will make all the difference.

Please contact Central Resource Management with any resource consent queries in the Queenstown & Wanaka region, or you can review some of our FAQs below.


The District and Regional plans set out the activities that require a resource consent and those that are permitted to occur without one. Activities that need a resource consent are classified as controlled, restricted discretionary, discretionary, or non-complying. The Council has to grant resource consents for controlled activities (with a couple of exceptions) but can refuse to grant resource consent for restricted discretionary, discretionary, or non-complying consents. Prohibited activities are expressly not allowed and you cannot apply for a resource consent for them.

What are district and regional plans? +

A regional plan is created by a regional council. It concerns issues that affect the coast, air, water or land. Regional plan rules cover things such as the construction of jetties, and the discharge of wastewater from factories into waterways. A district plan is created by a city or district council. It concerns the management of land use and subdivision in a city or district. District plan rules cover things such as noise, and the location and height of buildings. Sometimes you’ll need to apply for a resource consent from both the regional and district/city council.

Non-notified applications If your application is non-notified, the law requires the authority to issue your decision within 20 working days, as long as we have all the information has been provided. Often further information will be requested during this period. At that time, the application will be put on hold until adequate information has been supplied. Limited or fully notified applications If your application is limited notified or fully notified the process may take three months or more, particularly if submissions have been received and a hearing is required.

This depends on the type of consent. Any consent to do something on the land (called a land-use consent) is attached to the land and transfers to any new owner when you sell the land. Other types of consent (e.g., a consent to take water) might be able to be transferred with the land to a new owner. Whether this applies depends on what the consent, and sometimes what the plan, says. It’s not automatic. If you’re not sure about whether your consent can be transferred, then please ask.

You can also give up (surrender) your resource consent. This means you no longer have the right to do the activity, or the obligation to comply with conditions – and you no longer have to pay any monitoring or supervision charges to the council.

Useful Links